Skip to main content

Trio Kenwood KD-1033 turntable main bearing service

  One of my first posts in this blog was regarding the servicing of the Pioneer PL12D turntable, and that has proven to be the most popular by a significant margin. The Pioneer PL12D had its competitors, and probably the most popular alternative was the Trio Kenwood KD-1033 turntable. I use both names (Trio and Kenwood) as the company operated under different names in different markets. In the UK they were Trio, possibly because the brand Kenwood was most famous here for food blenders. 95% of a KD-1033 is similar to  Pioneer PL12D, and servicing them is very much the same process. Both are belt drive , have an AC synchronous motor,  mechanical speed change , a main bearing, sprung top deck and rubber motor mounts. the KD-1033 uses a different type of anti skate mechanism, employing a thread and weight. The plinth is shallower with an internal cross brace. One aspect that is different is the design of the main bearing, and servicing it is a little harder than a PL12D. The Pioneer main b

Replacing the bearings in an AEG lavamat washing machine

We have had an AEG Lavamat washing machine for 9 years and it's given very good service, probably running on average, a wash load a day for a family of four, including two teenage boys.

I'd started to notice that the spin was gradually getting louder , and recently some extra random bangs and knocks were introduced into the cacophony. It looked as if the main bearings were worn out, which was confirmed by some play in the drum when pushed up.
I maintained an old Servis washing machine which we had before the AEG, and it was forever breaking down with either clogged filter (nicely placed underneath the machine for zero accessibility) or the brushes wore out in the motor. I had arrived at the opinion that a washing machines bearings were the equivalent of a cars "big end" i.e. something that when it goes is considered terminal and I had no experience of replacing them. But I decided it was worth it as a new set cost around £20 and the machine should go on for some time after replacement. I had little to lose ...

I googled AEG and bearings and found this fantastic website which explains exactly how to remove the old bearings and fit the new ones. While the model was not precisely the same as mine (72620) these instructions worked a treat, and my machine is back in action. How quiet it is now. I think with washing machines and also vacuum cleaners they get louder over time, so you only notice it when you either fix or replace them.

PostscriptYesterday the machine started making a strange noise during pump out. The sound appeared to be coming from the bottom left hand corner, where the water pump is. I thought "Oh no - another part to replace"

Anyway I opened the filter hatch, drained off the excess water and removed the filter. Amongst the water was a lolly stick, which had been in someone's pocket and made it's way into the trap, then had been fowling the impeller blades in the pump. Easily solved


Update November 2011


My washing machine has been working OK, but I had noticed what looked like a growing pool of water on the floor beneath. This was not one large deluge , more something that was accumulating over time. I decided that perhaps the bearings needed replacing again. While not below the water level, some water can escape through the main bearings if the grease starts to break down. I ordered a new set of bearings, waited for them to arrive and that weekend , opened up the back of the machine.


I have no excuse, I have read all the Sherlock Holmes stories many many times, and he always states "never theorise before you have all the facts".


It wasn't the bearings. There was some water staining on the damping on the back of the outer drum, but this looked like it was old, probably from the last replacement. The water appeared to be leaking from where a flexible oval cross section hose mated with the detergent tray. Removing the detergent tray was a rather complicated and difficult job, and while a replacement hose could be purchased I had another problem. The staining on the floor appeared to have a greasy , wax-like property. It could have been that a mix of liquid detergent and water had slowly leaked out from the hose over time, leaving only the detergent residue. However the path that the water had taken seemed to run down one of the shock absorbers. The patch on the floor had a familiar chemical smell, like tins of fluxite. I wasn't sure if the leak had been washing out  hydraulic   fluid from the shock absorber.


It was going from bad to worse as it would take days to get more components and be a hard refit. The machine was over 12 years old.


I decided it was time for a new machine. I'm lucky to have a local small independent Electrical goods store ("Ace Electric") and an hour later I had ordered a new Bosch Exxcel machine, which was fitted  on the Monday, the old AEG taken away.


So that kind of brings this thread to a close. I guess I would have to say that the most important lesson in trying to mend things is knowing your limits and when to stop.


The new Bosch is very good, has all sorts of ECO programmes, a larger drum and a 1400 rpm spin speed which really dries out clothes before they are removed.




And finally, I have a spare set of AEG bearings, if you need them let me know

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi do you stil have them bearings
Mr Ives said…
Sorry but no. I should have updated the blog
Huw2997 said…
Very helpful description, thanks very much. I have taken my 20 year old AEG 72600 to bits on the strength of this and changed the bearings, but then discovered the drum spider had fractured so it would still be clonking. Spider unsurprisingly discontinued by AEG, I but I managed to get one to fit (hopefully) from Ransome spares.Lets see how much longer it will last!
Mr Ives said…
A pleasure, glad it helped. My Bosch replacement , mentioned in the Coda ,is still going strong BTW
AngryDave said…
Yeah, almost believable... ALL machines have the filter inaccessible at the bottom corner. My AEG main bearings were so shot to pieces in 7 years of light (twice a week) washing I was forced to look to replace but the drum is sealed so you cant. I replaced the water pump because that was shagged at 3 years. All in all this is a bloody expensive label on a cheap machine. At the time my wife believed the label meant something when I showed her an identical machine with another label for half the price... the other might have been ok value, the AEG was not.

Popular posts from this blog

Restoring a Pioneer PL-12D Turntable

 I got back into vinyl records about 18 months ago, and have collected a few hundred albums, mostly second hand. I have a number of turntables (NAD 5120, Ariston QDeck, Pioneer PL12D ) which I got also second hand. I keep a few, some end up passed onto friends, some that are too far gone are kept for spares. In most cases they have required a little work to get them running again. Last week I was lucky enough to get a Pioneer PL-12D turntable from freecycle. The lady who offered it, said that she in turn had received it from freecycle , and had replaced the belt but couldn't get on with the springiness of it, and had got a modern USB turntable. I have previously worked on one of these decks, and know what she means about the suspension system used. While this blog is specifically about this particular model of deck, many of the concepts are similar to others from this vintage. Many Japanese belt drive decks throughout the  1970's shared very similar construction, so this ma

Bracing IKEA EXPEDIT or KALLAX cabinets for greater rigidity when used with a turntable

The inevitable problem, too many records. Turntable and amplifier on top Like many record collectors around the world, I have a number of IKEA cube cabinets from both their EXPEDIT (older) and KALLAX (newer) ranges. These are easy to make, cheap to buy and perfect for record storage. The system comes flat packed and uses bolts and dowels to hold the system together. If you follow the instructions  the system is strong and should not collapse. You can augment the joints with PVA wood glue for extra strength. My turntable sits on top of an EXPEDIT 2x4 cabinet, laid along the long side, with some felt feet to support it from the floor, and you can use KALLAX in the same way. It's been great but has two problems I wanted to address : 1) Because the system has no back panel, the records  can be pushed too far back. 2) While the structure is strong and fairly rigid, there was some lateral movement. With heavy equipment on top, I found that if I nudged or knocked either top side, this all

a vintage Sonab 85S / Yamaha CP-500 turntable

The Sonab 85S turntable You'll see from this blog that I'm interested in vintage audio equipment , especially turntables and speakers. I keep an eye on ebay for potential bargains, and saw this turntable listed quite close to me and for a very good price, £60 buy it now, including 45 adapter, dust bug, DIN adapter, record clamp and a very nice Shure M95 cartridge. Condition listed as very good and with the original sonab headshell. I've been interested in this deck for sometime, as to my eyes , it's a particularly nice design, with the very simple tonearm and deep chassis. I was aware that the model , from the late 70's was a cooperation between Swedish manufacturer Sonab and Yamaha. I don't know how much was contributed by which firm, but the same deck, or one very similar is also to be found as the Yamaha CP-500, though typically in teak rather than black. There were two Sonab models , the 75 and 85, the former being a manual  deck, the latter an automatic, an