Skip to main content

Trio Kenwood KD-1033 turntable main bearing service

  One of my first posts in this blog was regarding the servicing of the Pioneer PL12D turntable, and that has proven to be the most popular by a significant margin. The Pioneer PL12D had its competitors, and probably the most popular alternative was the Trio Kenwood KD-1033 turntable. I use both names (Trio and Kenwood) as the company operated under different names in different markets. In the UK they were Trio, possibly because the brand Kenwood was most famous here for food blenders. 95% of a KD-1033 is similar to  Pioneer PL12D, and servicing them is very much the same process. Both are belt drive , have an AC synchronous motor,  mechanical speed change , a main bearing, sprung top deck and rubber motor mounts. the KD-1033 uses a different type of anti skate mechanism, employing a thread and weight. The plinth is shallower with an internal cross brace. One aspect that is different is the design of the main bearing, and servicing it is a little harder than a PL12D. The Pioneer main b

Dyson DC14 beater clutch

I've got a Dyson DC14 vacuum cleaner. See my other posting on general servicing.

of late I've noticed that the beater function often does not engage. The beater is the rotating bar of brushes that agitates the carpet. Most upright vacuum cleaners have this feature. on the Dyson it is enabled by rotating a large purple dial on the front left of the suction assembly. The idea is that you disable it for vacuming hard floors, but enable it for carpets. Even turning it forward did not always engage the beater/brush bar.

I decided to take the cleaner apart to see what might be the problem.

First I needed to remove the lower plate. This is held in place by 3 twist fastenings which can be undone with a coin. Once the plate is removed you can see the brush beater bar.


You can see that the beater brush device gets en-wrapped with hair, string and anything that is long and thin.

I routinely run a sharp knife along the edge to cut through all the hair and string to easily remove it. You can see on the right that the rubber drive belt emerges through a plastic housing before passing around the beater. You can also see that I have disconnected the suction hose. this is the white plastic hose which provides suction to the beater enclosure. It screws into place, it's wire bracing spiral providing a simple screw thread.




here you can see the purple beater selector knob. It controls a clutch mechanism. the vacuum cleaners motor drives one belt to a clutch unit, which then drives the beater via a second belt. the selector knob engages or disengages the clutch.

next I removed the beater bar by stretching the rubber band on levering the bar out. You can see the belt still in place.Next I removed the pivoting assembly that holds the beater bar in place. It is held in place
e by two three-quarters circular fittings on either side. It pushes out.It is now possible to also remove the entire front hood structure which is attached to the main body by two circular plastic clips which resemble plastic washers, These lever off quite easily and you can slide off the entire front section. You will also need to lever the drive belt to the clutch from the main motor shaft. this then means you have very easy access to the clutch mechanism. It's held in place by 3 Torx T10 screws and this requires a long necked T10 torx screw driver to access these . One is down a long tube, so a driver with replaceable bits will be too fat. I used a Stanley 67-494 driver. Once out I examined the clutch mechanism. Other than some slight wear to the plastic "click" cam it seemed OK. However both belts seemed extremely shiny on the side which engaged with the clutch. With some fiddling I was able to flip both belts around so that the unworn outside edge was facing inward. I did this by twisting the belt and carefully feeding the twist back through the clutch.

I reversed the above steps to put the cleaner back together. The clutch seems to work again. If I slip the purple knob forward into the carpeted position the beater engages immediately. Before it would need further pressure and would not always start. I think the problem is due to belt wear, so inverting the two belts has fixed that. I'm not sure that these belts are easily replaceable without a completely new clutch assembly. There appears no way to extract them from the clutch unit.

the clutch assembly (pictured)

Follow up January 2012 

Before Christmas I fixed up an old NAD 5120 turntable. The rubber mat had become scuffed and rather scruffy. On the suggestion of posts on the excellent vinylengine forum, I used  AF Platenclene liquid to restore it. This substance is used to restore the grip on the rollers of laser printers and photocopiers. Not only does it clean the rubber , it also restores much of it's grip. The next time the Dyson clutch starts to slip, I'll give the belt a squirt with this and  bit of a wipe. I have yet to try it, but I think it should help



Comments

Anonymous said…
popping the ends off of the beater bar will also let you clean hair and dirt from the ends, which when gets built up smells like something is burning
Anonymous said…
My DC14 was doing the same thing. I followed your instructions and it works great. I did find out if a person doesn't have the torx bit a small allen wrench will work since these are not super tight.
Mr Ives said…
Many thanks for the feedback, glad it worked
Anonymous said…
Just fixed mine using your instructions. Worked great and now I do not have to buy a new one. There was also some kind of plastic melted to the inside of my belt.
traindriver said…
Wow! You just saved me $70.00! I was getting ready to order a new clutch assembly and beater bar. Thank you for the post it pays to research!!
Anonymous said…
My problem was very little friction in the clutch - the hard rubber disk and the metal plate were sliding against one another with very little power being transmitted. The belts looked fine. I used coarse sandpaper to roughen the side of the metal disk that presses against the rubber disk and it seems to work now.
Mr Ives said…
many thanks Anonymous for sharing that. I didn't have that problem, mine seemed to be a hardening of the belt. I'm definitely a fan of platanclene rubber roller restorer, which I'm using a lot in the restoration of turntables (mats, feet, belts) but would also definitely help give the dyson clutch belts a new lease of life. at £3 for a bottle from amazon its an indispensable addition to the essentials cupboard along with duct tape, cable ties and epoxy putty.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing this. I have a DC14 that I've had for many years. At any given time I have 3-4 large, shedding dogs and I'm a clean freak so I vacuum my house almost daily and my van once a week. My bar stopped turning, but the belt was not loose or snapped. I called a local vac shop and they said this was too hard for me to try and would cost $80 for parts and labor. Naturally I took this as a challenge to do myself and didn't want to order parts until I was certain there wasn't something jammed or wound up with animal hair. I found this post by Googling. Sure enough, the culprit was a small, dense hairball lodged under the belt inside the clutch mechanism. I actually skipped several steps. For example, the step where you pop off the plastic washers and pull off the top/front of the vacuum, I could not get mine to come off so I left it on and was still able to remove the black piece with the 3 torque screws and access the area with the hairball. I didn't take mine apart any farther than that. My belt and clutch parts are in great shape (no wear, everything is still tight) so I didn't need any new parts. While I was working on this I rinsed each piece I took off and blew everything out. In our computer shop we have a compressor with 90psi so I was able to blow a lot of other dust and hair off and instantly dry the pieces I cleaned in the sink.
Anonymous said…
I flipped the clutch belt inside out just like you did and voila the beater bar is turning again. It only cost me the price of a torx screwdriver to repair.
Your post really helped. Much appreciated.
Anonymous said…
I have a question. My Dyson has good works good on picking up dirt with the hose but not the floor or base. The brushes turn but very little pick up power. The hoses going to the base is clear
Anonymous said…
I have a DC14 and I believe it needs a Torx T-15 to gain access to the Clutch assy.

There is a black tang that is part of the Clutch assy and it needs to engage a small flat piece of plastic to automatically disengage the clutch when the vacuum is placed in the upright position. This small plastic piece can get easily deformed or even broken off from the mail body housing that the wheels are attached to.
Anonymous said…
I reclaimed a Dyson Animal 14 from a woman who used Carpet Fresh on her carpets all the time. I took the entire vacuum apart, cleaned out the cyclone head (was so easy with the right torque bit), re-assembled it and it worked fine for several months. Now, it seems the carpet bar is showing resistance. The vacuum works fine when on the bare floor setting. I have removed the carpet bar, taken off any debris (and there wasn't much), but the ends are not turning easily. I have put a drop of oil in each end, but seems no resolution. Suggestions? Thanks!
Mr Ives said…
Hi, interesting, maybe all the dust from the carpet fresh has formed into a glue paste ?. Guess you could soak the bar in hot water and see if it free's up with persistent manual exercise of the end bearings ?
Anonymous said…
I have removed the caps on the end of the bar and took out a ton of hair (I didn't realize the caps came off, therefore didn't clean out the hair when I first cleaned the vacuum). Seems there was an odor of hot rubber just before a strange, loud noise, then the carpet bar didn't turn. The belt for the carpet bar is intact. I see there is another belt inside, a clutch belt. If this belt broke, would this prevent the carpet bar from turning? Seems as if this may be the case. I keep the vac clean, filters, too. I don't have an animal that sheds, so there isn't a hair/fur issue. All other things work fine. I can use the vac on the bare floor setting...but would like to know what might be the issue. Thanks.
Anonymous said…
On another vacuum subject, I also obtained a Bissell Powerglide multi-cyclonic pet and an Oreck, both uprights, from the same person. She used Carpet Fresh and the cyclone towers were all caked with the dust and gunk. I took all the towers apart. The Dyson was easy to reassemble (but now it has a carpet bar issue), the Oreck was so easy to clean, it had a 6 inch clog of fur and bobby pins...and the tower was easy to put together after I washed the components. Now, the Bissell, that is another story. I have spent several hours trying to get the screws back into the top of the cyclone tower with no results! Frustrated and wanting to get this tower together again...is there some "key" to getting the screws to tighten the top of the cyclone? Thanks!
Anonymous said…
I am still looking for information on re-assembling the cyclone tower for the Bissell bagless vacuum. No suggestions? Also, there has been no response to the odd smell and lack of turning for the carpet bar in the Dyson...posted almost a month ago. Thanks for your help.
Mr Ives said…
Sorry, I can't help you with The Bissell, I now have a DC41. Sorry , didn't realise I hadn't responded. My apologies.

So if you remove the carpet beater, will it then turn if you hold it by the two end cheeks ?

yes the clutch has two belts, one to the motor and one to the beater. if either breaks there will be no rotation.

There is a video on swapping out both the clutch and the belt here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyyAadfxwso&t=330s

Anonymous said…
Thanks for responding. Seems the Dyson carpet beater bar will turn at both ends. Probably the belt broke. I haven't had time to address it, I am using an Oreck right now. Still trying to figure out the Bissell.
Ash Green said…
Thank you so much for such an informative piece of information :)
If anyone interested similar one's have a look here
best vacuuming blog

Thanks
Anonymous said…
Just wanted to say a big thank you I turned my small clutch belt around and voila it works again!
Thanks for sharing

Popular posts from this blog

Restoring a Pioneer PL-12D Turntable

 I got back into vinyl records about 18 months ago, and have collected a few hundred albums, mostly second hand. I have a number of turntables (NAD 5120, Ariston QDeck, Pioneer PL12D ) which I got also second hand. I keep a few, some end up passed onto friends, some that are too far gone are kept for spares. In most cases they have required a little work to get them running again. Last week I was lucky enough to get a Pioneer PL-12D turntable from freecycle. The lady who offered it, said that she in turn had received it from freecycle , and had replaced the belt but couldn't get on with the springiness of it, and had got a modern USB turntable. I have previously worked on one of these decks, and know what she means about the suspension system used. While this blog is specifically about this particular model of deck, many of the concepts are similar to others from this vintage. Many Japanese belt drive decks throughout the  1970's shared very similar construction, so this ma

Bracing IKEA EXPEDIT or KALLAX cabinets for greater rigidity when used with a turntable

The inevitable problem, too many records. Turntable and amplifier on top Like many record collectors around the world, I have a number of IKEA cube cabinets from both their EXPEDIT (older) and KALLAX (newer) ranges. These are easy to make, cheap to buy and perfect for record storage. The system comes flat packed and uses bolts and dowels to hold the system together. If you follow the instructions  the system is strong and should not collapse. You can augment the joints with PVA wood glue for extra strength. My turntable sits on top of an EXPEDIT 2x4 cabinet, laid along the long side, with some felt feet to support it from the floor, and you can use KALLAX in the same way. It's been great but has two problems I wanted to address : 1) Because the system has no back panel, the records  can be pushed too far back. 2) While the structure is strong and fairly rigid, there was some lateral movement. With heavy equipment on top, I found that if I nudged or knocked either top side, this all

a vintage Sonab 85S / Yamaha CP-500 turntable

The Sonab 85S turntable You'll see from this blog that I'm interested in vintage audio equipment , especially turntables and speakers. I keep an eye on ebay for potential bargains, and saw this turntable listed quite close to me and for a very good price, £60 buy it now, including 45 adapter, dust bug, DIN adapter, record clamp and a very nice Shure M95 cartridge. Condition listed as very good and with the original sonab headshell. I've been interested in this deck for sometime, as to my eyes , it's a particularly nice design, with the very simple tonearm and deep chassis. I was aware that the model , from the late 70's was a cooperation between Swedish manufacturer Sonab and Yamaha. I don't know how much was contributed by which firm, but the same deck, or one very similar is also to be found as the Yamaha CP-500, though typically in teak rather than black. There were two Sonab models , the 75 and 85, the former being a manual  deck, the latter an automatic, an